Victoria, VIC

Posted By NHIA  
17:20 PM

From 5:59pm on 11 January, you will need to apply for a permit to enter Victoria from anywhere in Australia. The permit application system will be available shortly.

The permit system is based on a traffic light system which allows for areas across Australia to be designated as green, orange or red according to their risk.

The permit system is for both travellers to Victoria and residents of Victoria returning home from interstate travel.

Permitted Worker Permit - Agriculture 

Workers who are required to enter and be physically present in Victoria to provide agricultural services under the Agricultural Worker’s Code are eligible to apply for a permit under permitted workers categories. 

For a full list of activities covered under this category, visit the travellers eligible to apply for a permit under permitted workers categories webpage.

Follow the link to apply for a permitted worker permit

Permit zones

A red zone means that you will not be allowed to enter Victoria without an exception, permitted worker permit or exemption.

By land border: If you try to enter Victoria at a land border without an exception or exemption you will be turned away.

By plane or water: If you attempt to enter via an airport or seaport you will be fined up to $4,957. Victorian residents will also be directed to self-isolate at home for 14-days while non-Victorian residents will be sent back on the first available flight.

Those travelling from a designated orange zone must apply for a permit to enter Victoria. You cannot apply for a permit if you have coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms, nor if you have visited a red zone.

Those travelling from a designated green zone must apply for a permit to enter Victoria. You cannot apply for a permit if you have coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms, nor if you have visited a red zone

During the permit application, along with where you have been, you will also be asked about whether you have symptoms, whether you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or are a close contact of someone who has or whether you have visited particular high-risk locations.

New South Wales/Victorian border communities will continue to have exceptions and will be able to use local residence identification to cross the border.


NSW-Victorian cross-border communities

If you’re a resident of one of the following local government areas, you don’t need a cross-border permit. You can use your driver’s licence or other form of photo ID as evidence of your address. This will allow you to cross the border.

  • Victorian local government areas: Alpine, Benalla, Bendigo, Buloke, Campaspe, East Gippsland, Gannawarra, Indigo, Loddon, Mildura, Moira, Shepparton, Swan Hill, Towong, Wangaratta, Wodonga and Yarriambiack.
  • NSW local government areas: Albury City, Balranald, Bega Valley, Berrigan, Broken Hill, Edward River, Federation, Greater Hume, Hay, Lockhart, Murray River, Murrumbidgee, Snowy Monaro, Snowy Valleys, Wagga Wagga, and Wentworth.




Safely Reopening Victoria

More information


Dairy Australia have made the following resources available:


Posters for Business