South Australia, SA

Posted By NHIA  
11:00 AM

Continue Business as an Essential Service Provider in SA

All travellers coming to South Australia must first complete a Cross Border Travel Registration, irrespective of where they are travelling from. Apply here.


Entering South Australia from Victoria (Essential Travel)

First, you must seek an essential Traveller Health Exemption, click here.

Due to the COVID-19 situation unfolding in Victoria, South Australia Police wishes to advise the community that they have established border checkpoint stations at the following locations:

  • Sturt Highway, Yamba
  • Mallee Highway, Pinnaroo
  • Dukes Highway, Wolseley
  • Wimmera Highway, Laurie Park
  • Casterton Road, Penola
  • Glenelg Highway, Myora
  • Princes Highway, Glenburnie
  • Glenelg River Road, Donovans/Nelson

They advise they are currently experiencing an increase in the volume of traffic and therefore motorists at some of these locations are experiencing minor delays with the processing of travellers on the Cross Border Travel Registration Platform.

South Australia Police remind travellers returning or entering South Australia by road of the following:

  • Before reaching the border with South Australia, please ensure everyone has completed the Cross Border Travel Registration.

Note: Travellers must complete a separate Cross Border Travel Registration for each person in the travelling party including all children.  People will experience delays on arrival if they have not completed an application for each person.

  • Please ensure you understand the nature and level of restrictions or conditions that will apply to you as contained with the latest Emergency Management Act Direction.
  • Please have your Approved Traveller Number immediately available at the border check point.
  • Please exercise caution, comply with all speed and traffic restrictions and directions on approach to any Border checkpoint.
  • Please be patient and at all times be safe!


Health exemption - Essential Traveller –Category 2 Essential Traveller

Category 2: Essential Travellers are residents from the restricted or prohibited zones (see attached).

  • Specialist workers in essential sectors (page 1 of attached).

Some Essential Travellers seeking to enter SA from Prohibited Locations will require written approval from SA Health before submitting a Cross Border Travel Registration to SA Police. An Exemptions Panel led by the Chief Public Health Officer and authorised officers, meets regularly to consider the exemption requests. Your Cross Border Travel application cannot proceed for these categories until you have written approval from SA Health. Attach approvals prior to applying.

All applications for Essential Traveller status from SA Health must be submitted using the online SA Health Essential Traveller Application form

Travellers will be required to wear a surgical face mask in SA when in contact with the public. All overseas travellers are required to have the mandatory COVID-19 testing on day 1, day 5, and day 13 of entry into SA.

The Health Exemption request application, with supporting evidence to support your request, should be submitted to the Exemptions Team as soon as possible and before you apply for a Cross Border Travel Registration from SA Police.

Apply for a health exemption



Essential Travellers Employers should first complete a Risk Mitigation Plan and have that submitted 

Step 1 - Workplace risk mitigation 

Essential sectors need to have a Workplace Risk Mitigation plan for COVID-19. This includes identifying potential risks, hazards and the controls in place to mitigate these potential risks.

Please see the SA link here on preparing a risk mitigation plan (RMP). If you need multiple visits scroll down to the multi-entry pass information below to cover this in your RMP.

Prepare your risk mitigation plan and email it here for approval, or for assistance:

Wait for your approval letter to attach to your application.

Step 2 -Supporting Evidence

Also obtain a letter from the business requesting your service detailing that the person is required to conduct a service that is time critical and where the provision of the service requires that the person be physically present in South Australia.

When applying industry falls under Schedule 2 Point 3 — Specialist workers in essential sectors. See schedule here.

Point 3: Specialist workers in essential sectors 'mining, oil, gas, energy, water, agriculture or other primary industries'


Additional Industry Templates are below:

Word document templates for employee crossing the border, please insert company logo:
Records of close contact form   (download here)  

Multi-Entry Pass

It is possible to obtain a ‘many use pass’, but there are some strict criteria to get it.

The Essential worker will need to submit their risk mitigation plan (RMP) for approval before applying for a border pass. In the RMP cover off all of the requested parts and stipulate that you will need to visit X number of times over a X week period making sure to nominate dates for each forward trip and outlining the purpose of each visit and why each purpose has to be performed in SA. Also, identify where you are coming from.

Once the RMP is approved, apply on the SAPOL site for a border pass. When doing this repeat, all of the details of the multiple visits that are required, and state the application is for a multi-entry pass. 

We have confirmed that all states have agreed that agriculture and suppliers of essential services to agriculture will be categorised as essential services.


National Coronavirus Helpline Phone Number: 1800 253 787